Tuesday, November 16, 2010

Sebastian Vettel: F1 Youngest World Champion


Sebastian Vettel has become the youngest ever Formula 1 World Champion, taking that particular title away from 2005 title winner Fernando Alonso, by winning Sunday’s Abu Dhabi Grand Prix. The German Red Bull Racing driver speaks of his remarkable achievement.

‘I’m a bit speechless, to be honest, I don’t know what I’m supposed to say at this moment. An incredibly tough season physically and mentally but we always kept believing in the team and the car and I kept believing in myself.

Today was a special day all around. This morning I got up and just tried to be calm and avoid contact with people. As you say, we’ve only led this championship once, but when it matters.

I’m speechless, as I said, the car was phenomenal. The start was close with Lewis and we then had a bit of graining, but car stabilised from then.


It was good that Lewis got up behind Kubica and got held up, so I could make a gap but, yeah, to be honest I didn’t know anything unless I crossed the chequered flag.

(Race Engineer) Rocky was always trying to give me some advise, I was thinking, ‘Why is this guy so nervous? We must be in a bloody good position!’


After crossing the line Rocky said, ‘It’s looking good but we have to wait’ and then he came on screaming that we’d won the World Championship.

I have to thank all of the mechanics, all of the engineers…sorry, I’m making this a bit long!…all the guys in Milton Keynes are pushing like hell enjoying this moment and back in Austria, all the guys who have been supporting me from the beginning.

It’s unbelievable; I can only say things to all the people from karting in Kerpen and my hometown Heppenheim.


I don’t know how many times we’ve had a different leader in this championship. Ferrari were there, McLaren came back, Lewis was leading the championship, Lewis had a retirement in Hungary, myself in Australia and Korea and I think all of us had to go though ups and downs.

A tough season mentally, but sometimes you just need to be able to ignore what people are saying and get things done. I’m very proud.'

Congrats Sebastian on becoming the youngest Formula One champion!!! What a season and what a finale... :)

No comments: