Monday, December 15, 2008

NO STAR for Starwalk 2008

Here are some of my thoughts for the Starwalk 2008 which was held yesterday at the Penang International Sports Arena or better known as PISA.
My post walk judgement:
1. Competition walkers are not being told properly to move to the starting line when the walk begins. I was waiting for instructions at the reporting area when I saw people starting walking towards the starting line without being told. By the time I reached the starting line, I was surprised to see the VIPs already standing there looking at us walking by. By then I knew the walk had already started and had a fightback to make up for the lost time.
2. Good turnout this year as it was reported that 14k people took part in the walk this year. This is very good sign that people are getting more and more cautious about their health. However the organizer should also ensure that there are enough rubbish bins and facilities for the walkers. I can see more and more rubbish being overflown at the bins, free newspapers were never enough, and the free isotonic drinks at the middle checkpoint station was over-crowded. They should have spread out and have more station serving drinks to the people.
3. The prize presentation and lucky draws were dragged until long overdue. Last year I managed to reached home at around 1pm but this year, by the time I reached home, it was already almost 2pm. The emcee knew that the show is being held up and was running out of time towards the end and as a results, the last 10-20 lucky draws was announced quickly without much delays.
4. The counter that gives out medals and prizes to the winners should be spread out bigger so that walkers waiting to claim their prizes won't be struggling for places and blocking the path of other starwalkers passing by.
I really hope to see a better Starwalk next year. Let's improve the event given that it will be 32nd year of Starwalk as well as being the premier sports event of the region :)

2 comments:

LynMay said...

Haha.. so my group of friends and I were not the only ones who did not hear the signal indicating the race has started...

BH said...

Haiz....let's hope for a better walk next year...we can straight go to the starting line and wait after taken the wrist band :)