Monday, May 18, 2009

Federer snaps Nadal streak, finally lands 1st title of 2009


World No.2 Roger Federer won his first title for 2009 at the Madrid Mutua MadrileƱa Madrid Open defeating Rafael Nadal 6-4 6-4 and breaking the Spaniard’s 33-consecutive clay court match-winning streak. Federer served six aces and broke Rafa’s serve on both occasions when he had the opportunity, fought off four break points on his own serve and won 63 points to the world No.1’s 58 during the course of the one hour and 26-minute match.


Tournament top seed Nadal was gracious in defeat. “Roger was much better than me and deserved to win today,” he said immediately after the match, “the surface was faster than the courts I’ve been playing on recently and suited him better.” And the world No.1, who defeated Novak Djokovic in a marathon semifinal on Saturday, said that fatigue had not been a factor in the final. “Playing four hours was not a problem for today,” he said. Federer was delighted to have broken his 2009 title duck. "I thought that I played well - you have to play well against Rafa on clay - there are no easy ways and he's not going to hand it to you," said the world No.2.


"It's definitely good for my confidence, especially beating Rafa in the finals, I'm working hard and doing the right things and it gives me a lot of confidence going into the French Open which maybe wouldn't have been the case a couple of weeks ago. "The No.2 seed said he was pleased with the way he'd adapted his game to take the Madrid title. "I served well, mixed it up well and took all the right decisions today. In the end it looked quite comfortable out there for me, it was a good win for me, so I'm very satisfied. "I've had some bad losses this year in terms of the way I've played but I've felt this win coming for a few weeks so I am very pleased."


C'mon Roger, great job and bravo! Let's hope you can land the exclusive French Rolland Garros title come end of the month :)

No comments: