Tuesday, December 1, 2009

PBIM09: My post race reflection :)

It’s dusted and settled. My last run for the year 2009 (that is if I do not register for any more runs :p) – Penang Bridge International Marathon 2009 (PBIM09) which was held last Sunday 22nd November. This will be my 4th year joining the run, which is of course in the Men’s Open Half Marathon with the distance of 21km (I’ll not up to the standard of full 42km…hahaha )I’m glad it’s over and so, I would like to share a few words to all my readers.

Before the race
I didn’t really have ample time for training this year. In fact, prior to the PBIM09, I stopped running/jogging for 4 months due to my house reno, work and wedding preparation stuffs. I only started training around 3+ weeks before the actual day. My running partner, the great Champ Mr J (let’s call him Champ) was in great spirit for the run this year. He even scheduled and arranged out his training schedule in a Gantt Chart, that’s really motivating. I tried to follow and run together with him as I know without training, I’ll be looking for trouble during the race. I didn’t really managed to follow exactly Champ’s planned schedule, just about 75% of it. I really enjoy the 3 weeks training and running with him at the Sungai Nibong field.

The race day
My last training was on Monday on the race week, it was just a 10km relax run with Champ. The next 6 days are just rest days for my body and legs. Champ estimated and calculated our checkpoint time based on our pace over training and that really gives me pressure to run… I went over to my Sg Nibong house to overnight on the race day, woke up at 2am and get myself ready for the race. Met with Champ at around 250am and together, we walked towards the starting point gathering area. Saw many of my ex-colleagues there (KH, KK, KA etc) We quickly went to ease ourself at the mobile toilet and was just in time 5 mins before the race start. At exactly 3:30am, the race was flagged off for us.

It was a crowded start indeed – 6000 people reported registered for the half marathon category. The initial 2km was just a slow jog for us as we do not really have space to run freely. Once entering the straight of the coastal highway, we are able to run on our usual pre-planned pace. The water supply this year was great. We had lots of water, sponge, isotonic drink 100 plus and of course banana ! Somehow, the organizer should have give out water in paper cup rather than the whole 500ml bottle for everyone as it’s really wasting throwing away the whole bottle after only a few sip! Right on target, we hit the bridge after around 22mins, it was a really nice feeling and cool breeze running on the bridge.

Not long after entering the bridge, there were volunteers by the bridge side distributing something. Not to be miss out, we went for it as well only to find out that they were giving out bananas! So early in the race? Each of us took few bites and then continue on running. Champ constantly reminding me of the time we have spent running. The road leading to the u-turn was actually not that short, and we mis-calculated the distance, hence it was off our targeted time when we turned back towards the island. Once after the turning, we are running uphills again to the middle peak of the bridge. My legs soreness starts to creep in and both of us are complaining to each other that we felt something at our legs.

Once we were at the top of the bridge, we are moving downhill again. Sensing that it will be easier to run downhill, we increased our speed with the aim of catching back some lost time during the middle span u-turn. We did and arrived at almost exactly on our targeted time at the turning down from the bridge. Now we are heading towards e-Gate. Managed to overtook one of my ex-colleague and called out to my school friend whom was there taking photographs. Right on target, we turned back heading towards Queensbay Mall for our final ~5km run. A foreigner was using us how long more distance to go, and I just replied approximately 5km more to go. I guessed he must be one of the full marathon runners since I didn’t take note of his running bib. Met my school friend again, only this time we slowed down for him to capture and record down our evidence of running the PBIM09.

Sensing the near end of our run, we are happy but at the same time our legs starts to feel the muscle pulling, so both of us took out and applied the muscle relief cream. On and on, we carry on running and giving each other encouragement that we are almost there. At the turning besides Villa Emas condominium, we can see the 40km signboard, which means only 2km more to go. Hooray…! We speed up from jogging to faster running and after the roundabout, my right leg muscle slightly pulled up. Champ wanted to push me for the final 1km sprint, but I told him to go ahead as I do not want to suffer any cramp. So he did with his personal mission of overtaking one of the foreigner in front of us at that moment.
Post Race
In the end, I crossed the finish line some 30 seconds behind champ. I was sandwiched between an American and a Singaporean in front of me and then a Nigerian behind me. I didn’t show any happy face across the finishing line, but I smiled inside my heart as I have achieved my personal targets of running the whole distance and having cramp free. My time was not very great compared to many people out there, 2:11:23 is my net time, which puts me at position 300+ in the mens open half marathon category. This is by far the the best ever half marathon for me to date. We rest awhile, went over to take countless drinks at different stalls and then Champ decided to go home without wanted to wait for the lucky draw. Logical move actually, because it was not even 6am at that time! I joined my ex-colleague after that, hanged around the area to have more drinks, and then went to have roti canai as breakfast. Yummy!

We arrived back at the finishing area around 9+am, and then sit down to wait for the lucky draw. No luck with the lucky draw as this year’s sponsors are significantly a lot lesser compared to last year. The whole event finished at about 10am, so me and my friend walked back together to take our vehicle and head back to our respective home to rest. There you have it, my PBIM09 half marathon run. I really felt satisfied with my performance this year compared to my last 3 years. Hopefully can improve more in years to come…hehehehe.

No comments: